Before setting up a site or any type of business online, you might have come across the word “hosting”. Quite a lot of people do not know what it means and why it is necessary to buy before making your site go online. After that, one might wonder what VPS hosting is.
You are not alone; a lot of people are not aware of these hosting-related terms. Well, don’t worry. Because in this article, we are going to discuss what these terms particularly mean, especially focusing on the term VPS hosting. So, why wait?
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is Hosting?
Providing storage and computer resources to a person or organisation for the lodging and management of one or more websites and related services is known as hosting, sometimes known as Web hosting or website hosting. Simply said, it is an online service that enables you to upload files for your website to the internet.
The hosting company creates an infrastructure for specialised back-end computing. Each website that has chosen that particular hosting provider is distinguished by its unique domain name and logically assigned Webspace and storage. In turn, the website owner/developer leverages the infrastructure to host its website via uploaded source code.
There are a lot of types of hosting available based on what type of site you are running. There are different types available like if you have a business to run online, you will need a hosting service that has 99.9% uptime and is secure enough to protect customer information. If you run a vlog online, then you need to have an attractive front end, etc.
In the following subsection, we are going to be looking at what VPS type of hosting is.
VPS Hosting: What Is That?
Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting utilises a separate private server and functions as a remote server. It is shared with a number of other virtual private servers on a single piece of hardware to imitate a physical server, but in practice, the machine is used by multiple users. On a VPS server, each individual has access to the virtual computer running a unique copy of the operating system (OS).
Advantages of VPS Hosting
There are a few advantages that you enjoy with this type of hosting, which are listed below –
- Simple to use: The service is simple and very easy to use as compared to other hosting types, which are a bit complicated to understand and operate.
- Easy customisation: Since the servers provided with this hosting are private, you can host as many sites as you want from this, which can be customised at your own will.
- Good Security: Having separate and unique servers are helpful in providing extra security, as this feature makes it very difficult for any hacker to hack your server directly.
Disadvantages of VPS hosting
Along with the advantages, this hosting also comes with disadvantages of its own, the main of them which are listed below :
- Expensive: If you are just starting any type of website and have a limited budget, then this might be a little expensive for you.
- Technical issue: Your website may be more at risk for security now than at any other moment if it is not configured correctly.
- High Management: If you do not know how to operate any website fully, then using this might be a little challenging for you.
Who Should Opt for VPS Hosting?
If, after weighing all the advantages and disadvantages, you still need to decide about choosing this hosting, we are here to dispel your concerns. Website owners who, while still not needing a dedicated server’s capabilities, have medium-level traffic that surpasses the boundaries of shared hosting plans (hosting designed for larger websites) are the main target audience (servers made for small websites). In other words, if your business is established and small, go for it.
To sum up, we saw what VPS hosting means and its advantages and disadvantages in this article. If you face any type of issue, as mentioned earlier, then you are always free to opt for other types of hosting that might be more suitable for you and your website.
Oliver is a professional blogger and a seasoned business and finance writer. With a passion for simplifying complex financial topics, he provides valuable insights to a diverse online audience. With four years of experience, Oliver has polished his skills as a finance blogger.